The chances may increase for a foot injury to occur in children who participate in sports activities. These types of injuries can involve the ligaments, bones, and tendons. Fractures and sprains also fall into this category. There are two classifications of foot injuries that can develop, consisting of acute or chronic. Acute injuries consist of contusions, or bruises, fractures, and sprains. Chronic injuries can include stress fractures and tendonitis, and generally happen gradually from overuse. Parents may see symptoms in their children in the form of limping or difficulty walking. At this point, a proper diagnosis is necessary to have, which can determine what type of injury it is. Many times an X-ray or MRI is performed, and this can precede what type of treatment is needed for a complete recovery. If your child has foot pain, it is strongly urged that you seek the counsel of a podiatrist who can guide you toward helping your child find relief.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact Leonard Talarico, DPM of Georgia. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Pooler, GA . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.