Some of the Common Foot and Ankle Conditions Treated:
- Achilles Tendon Injuries
- Acute and Chronic Ankle Conditions
- Ankle Sprain Injuries
- Arthritic Joints
- Corns / Calluses
- Children's Foot Conditions
- Diabetic Wound Care / Infections
- Flat Feet
- Fractures / Trauma / Sprains
- General Foot Deformities
- Heel Pain (heel spur) / Haglund's Deformity
- Ingrown Toenails
- Joint Pain (Stiff Big Toe)
- Morton's Neuroma
- Nerve Compression Syndromes:
- Peroneal Tendon Injuries
- Posterior Tibial Tendon Injuries
- Soft Tissue Masses
- Sports Injuries
- Toe Problems
- Skin Problems / Skin Lesions / Warts
From routine checkups to surgical treatment, Leonard M. Talarico, DPM is equipped to handle all your podiatric needs. To help you understand your options, we've included descriptions of some of our leading services on this page. At The Foot & Ankle Center, PC we offer advanced state-of-the-art technology and treatments in a caring and family-like atmosphere; expertise you can trust.
In - office diagnostic services:
- Digital X-ray : a low scatter radiographic evaluation of the bones and joints.
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound : For diagnosis of musculoskeletal problems, heel pain, tendonitis, tendon and ligament tears, stress fractures, neuromas, bursitis, and tumors.
- Neurosensory Testing with P ressure Specified Sensory Device (PSSD ™ ) : a painless method for to determine if a person’s complaints of numbness or pain are due to compression (from entrapment or pressure) of a nerve, an injury to a nerve, or due to a neuropathy. PSSD™ is a computer – based device used to measure and quantify the amount of pressure required for a person to determine if one or two rounded objects are in contact with that area’s skin surface. No needles or electric shocks are used and it is painless.
- PADnet+ Vascular Testing for Peripheral Arterial Disease (P.A.D.) : A non-invasive test called an Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) is performed enabling early detection of P.A.D. by detecting blockages in arteries and measuring the quality of blood flow to the legs and feet using Pulse Volume Recordings (PVRs) and segmental blood pressure measurements. Early detection of P.A.D. greatly improves the outcomes. An additional test is available to detect chronic venous insufficiency (CVI) .
- Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology (EPAT ® ) : is an innovation setting a new standard in the treatment of acute and chronic musculoskeletal disorders. The technology is based on unique sets of pressure waves that trigger the body's own repair mechanisms to stimulate natural healing . It is noninvasive and fast tracks the healing process. It is commonly used for heel pain, Achilles tendon pain, and other musculoskeletal injuries.
- MLS Laser Therapy : the latest advance in safe, comfortable and highly effective pain relief and tissue repair. The MLS Laser is one of the most technologically advanced therapeutic Class IV lasers approved by the FDA . The difference is that the MLS Laser is capable of delivering over 100 times more healing energy than the most powerful devices of the previous generation ( Class III – ‘Cold Lasers’ – LLLT – Low Level Laser Therapy ).
- Alcohol Sclerosing Injections : Nonsurgical treatment for painful nerve entrapments, neuromas and lesions.
- Prescription Custom Foot Orthoses : Custom biomechanical – control – devices created from moldings of your feet and designed to fit into your shoes. These devices hold your feet in their correct position to allow improved biomechanical function of the foot in to reduce injury and improve comfort.
- Reconstructive Procedures – Bunions, Hammertoes, Flatfeet, etc.
- Nerve Decompression (neurolysis)
- Tendon Repair
- Joint Replacement
- Joint Fusion
- Fracture Repair
Durable Medical Equipment:
- Medicare approved extra-depth diabetic shoes and insoles
- Custom-molded ankle braces as an alternative to surgery
- Custom-molded biomechanical control orthotics
OTC products available:
- Powerstep ® prefabricated shoe inserts
- Silicone pressure – reducing foot pads
- Biofreeze ® pain relieving gel
- Traumeel ®
- Zeel ®
- Neuremedy ®
- Mederma ® Scar Care
- Mycasil topical toenail anti-fungal solution
- Mycomist anti-fungal therapy for shoes
- Dani-Pro anti-fungal nail polish
Ankle sprains are caused by an unnatural twisting or force on the ankle bones of the foot, often resulting in one or more ligaments on the outside of the ankle to be stretched or torn. If not properly treated, ankle sprains could develop into long-term problems. Read More...
Bunions are misaligned big toe joints that can become swollen and tender, causing the first joint of the big toe to slant outward, and the second joint to angle toward the other toes. Read More...
Flat feet are a common condition. In infants and toddlers, the longitudinal arch is not developed and flat feet are normal. The arch develops in childhood, and by adulthood, most people have developed normal arches. Read More...
Hammertoe is a deformity of the second, third or fourth toes. In this condition, the toe is bent at the middle joint, resembling a hammer. Left untreated, hammertoes can become inflexible and require surgery. Read More...
Diabetes and Your Feet
With a diabetic foot, a wound as small as a blister from wearing a shoe that's too tight can cause a lot of damage. Diabetes decreases blood flow, so injuries are slow to heal. Read More...
Plantar fasciitis (or heel pain) is commonly traced to an inflammation on the bottom of the foot. Our practice can evaluate arch pain, and may prescribe customized shoe inserts called orthoses to help alleviate the pain. Read More...
Corns and calluses are protective layers of compacted, dead skin cells. They are caused by repeated friction from skin rubbing against bony areas or against an irregularity in a shoe. Corns ordinarily form on the toes and calluses on the soles of the feet. Read More...